Dec 31, 2012

Best of 2012!


My college roommate always publishes his 40 Best albums of the year, so this list of my Favorite things from this year is sort of inspired by him. Also I will be listing my Favorites as well.

Best Movie of 2012:

Les Miserables.

I know some people would expect some different things, maybe a Django plug or Avengers, Batman, Skyfall, Looper, etc.. While all of these movies I thoroughly enjoyed (I specifically remember telling my dad as we left Looper that I thought that might have been the best Sci-Fi movie I had ever seen) Les Mis took my breath away. Not many movies can give me goosebumps throughout the movie. Were there flaws? Yes, some of the singing was pitchy but that is to be expected from live singing and actually acting through the song. I am even considering seeing the movie again. Not many 3 hour musicals will I say that about.

Favorite Movie of 2012: Tie between Wreck-It Ralph and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Call me crazy but I am a sucker for feel-good Disney movies, but tie those in with video games and I am all the more in love. Wreck It Ralph in all its 108 minutes had me grinning from ear to ear. 

AL:VH, I loved it for very different reasons. I mean come on what is not to like about Honest Abe weilding and Axe soaked in holy water. 'Nuff said.

Best Song of 2012

Ho Hey: The Lumineers slight nod to Freedom at 21 by Jack White.

Ho Hey (or as my mom calls it, "That Ho Song") was on repeat on tn my Itunes for a long time. Not only is it really catchy, but they don't try to do much with the song. It sounds cheaply recorded but that helps it work. Rather than focus on all of the technical aspects of music now adays The Lumineers stripped down their sound and let the instruments and vocals do all of the work. I love listening to music when you can hear in the background band talking like it was meant to just be  rehearsal but they liked it so much they kept it. I also love that this song is now getting airplay, way to go popular radio, way to finally catch on that this is a good song months later.

Favorite Song of 2012:

We (WeEEEEEE) Are Never Getting Back Together : Taylor Swift

Call me a sucker and a loser all you want but I bought Red. And you know what I love Red. And I love this song. As much as I heard in on the radio I still can't get enough of it. The sheer sillyness of the chorus, the instant hook that is just so darn catchy, whatever. I just love it okay. Not sure how I justify it.


Best Album of 2012 (that I listened to)

Boys & Girls : Alabama Shakes

I love music but I do not have the hard drive space nor the wallet to listen to as many albums as I need to to really be an expert on this topic however one album that caught me completely off guard was the album mentioned above. I caught Alabama Shakes on Conan and was hooked. "Hold On" is a wonderful single that just completely dragged me into the band. Once I started listening to more I realized that this was a complete album. The lead singer sounds like a mixture of Janis Joplin and Tina Turner, the guitars and very bluesy. The Drummer is a former punk rocker. It shouldn’t work but it does.

Favorite Album of 2012 (that I listened to): Tie between

Red: Taylor Swift and Babel : Mumford & Sons

Read the favorite song section for info about Red. Instead I will talk about Babel. The second I saw that Mumford was released a second album I instantly pre-ordered it, I mean like 5 minutes after I learned about it. When I got it on September 25th, I listened to it until Red came out. Now they swap positions when I am driving places. I can get enough of “Lover’s Eyes” and “Lover of the Light”, but really the whole album is great.

Best TV Show:

The Walking Dead

I don’t watch a lot of TV so I don’t consider myself a true expert. I had every intention of watching a lot of new shows this year but I really only stuck it out with one. Walking Dead was a tour de force for me. I started from season 1 early in the fall and was caught up enough so now I watch new episodes as they come out. Season Two became a struggle to watch as I progressed through as I felt it was the same episode every episode, but season 3, in the words of Kanye “that sh.. Cray”. Season 3 has hooked me even more that I was already hooked and I can’t wait till February when it comes back.

Favorite TV Show

How I Met Your Mother
I know my best TV show and favorite should be the same, but I am giving the slight nod to HIMYM. I love HIMYM, I love the story arc they are currently in, and even though I liked Victoria (even predicted that she was the mom) I am okay with the direction Ted is heading, which I couldn’t say in previous seasons.

Best Sports Moment of the Year:

Olympic Gold for US Women’s Gymnastics

I know I know, I’m supposed to pick UK winning the National Championship. Yeah, Yeah. But this is so much bigger. I was like a ton of other Americans that knew the results before I watched the finals in gymnastics, I already knew but I watched anyway. And I almost (emphasis on almost) cried when they won. I was so proud to be and American at that moment. Now granted UK winning the title was cool and all, but it just can’t top the Fab Five.

Favorite Sports Moment of the Year:

Penn State Football’s Revival

Everyone has heard of the Sandusky scandal, but how new coach Bill O’Brian took his team, which all pundits agreed would finish with less than 5 wins, to an 8-4 record. I was completely amazed at the turn around that they were able to have and to be able to let the university have something positive to focus on in the face of adversity and doubt.

Least Favorite Sports Moment of the Year

Infield Fly Rule

‘Nuff Said.

There you have. Feel free to disagree or even shed some light on what I have liked or loved. If you think I would like something feel free to leave me a comment. Thanks.

No comments: