Feb 6, 2009

I have been fearfully and wonderfully made...

I have been reflecting on the words to one David Crowder Band song recently. The chorus goes like this.

"You make everything glorious. And I am yours, so what does that make me."

I have heard that song what seems like a million times but the words never really sunk in. If everything God has made is glorious, than wouldn't that make me glorious as well. I guess that I have never realized that I was a glorious creation. What makes this worse is that I look around at others and it seems like they don't seem to see that either. Have we lost out on what God really thinks of us?

The bible mentions many times over that we are special to God in some way.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God has prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."
Ephesians 2:10

"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children"
Ephesians 5:1

"See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us,
that we would be called children of God; and such we are.
1 John 3:1

"For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
Psalm 139:13-14a

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord.
'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you a hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

How is it that we treat ourselves like we are less than what God looks at us as.

I am reading a book right now called The 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry. It is about reforming your thinking around the teachings of Philippians 4:8. One thing he mentions in his book is that our negative thoughts come from our own self-image. We think negative thoughts because we don't place enough value on ourselves. We don't realize that we truly are Children of God. What would happen to our self-image if we truly started to believe that we are beautiful children of God the Father? Newberry continues to say that we don't realize that we are special.

"There has never been and never will be anyone just like you, and God has not made anyone else in the world out of better clay than he used to make you. Your life here on earth is your special, unrepeatable opportunity to fulfill God's vision for your life and to magnify the joy he has placed within you." (Tommy Newberry, The 4:8 Principal, pg 42).

You are special, I am special, and we are are beautiful children of God who were fearfully and wonderfully made.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Phil 4:8! I actually came across this verse in my bible study yesterday morning!! It is so encouraging to me! That sounds like a really awesome book!

Cassie said...

OMGOSH! I'm reading that same book!!!!!!! Its good! I'm not as far as page 42 yet. but im in the process of reading it.
Such a good book!